Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Da Vinci Code (45)

I never intended to read this book. Quite frankly it never really interested or appealed to me. And when I heard all the ruckus about it, it just made me want to read it less. I know a lot of Christians argued that "it's just a novel," but so are smutty romance novels and I've never had any desire to read those either (or Harry Potter, or Diane Gabaldon, or...)


Anyway, I recently got lent a huge stack of books which included the Da Vinci Code. I read the back and it sounded kind of interesting so I decided to give it a shot. And I have to admit, Dan Brown is a good writer. I know what I believe, and I know my history. I'm also willing to investigate anything which challenges my assumptions and not just blindly accept what some writer tells me. But I can understand what all the controversy was about. Of course even some Christian novels make statements I don't agree with.

Anyway, this was a good book if you only read it as a novel, and don't assume that everything we thought we knew about the Christian faith is now wrong. And if you have questions, there's a great site to check out...

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I'm such a slacker - I've seen the movie, but haven't read the book :) The movie was good. Lots to think about, but obviously fiction.