Thursday, June 24, 2010

33 & 34

Oy! I just finished reading my very first non finance or weight loss related non fiction book EVER! I know, this is tres exciting!!

The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman is about the couple who owned/ran the Warsaw zoo just before and during World War 2. You should have heard be trying to tell my book club about this book. I had them thinking the Nazis were herding Jews into cages at the zoo and putting them on display. Not so. But maybe you should read the description here just to be safe!

Now, I could just be really dumb (this is my first non fiction after all) but I found the non linear way she told the story quite confusing. If I had been organizing the book I would have done it a lot differently. Even so, I would recommend this book. A very good read and very interesting (also, not too heart wrenching - I shed no tears).

Next I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. LOVED IT! I would love for my ten year old niece to read and love it as much as I did. I think it's kind of a universal appeal type o book and a great beach read.

2 comments:

Ben S. said...

hmm...i'm requesting the zookeeper's wife right now. sounds interesting.

Jane said...

I figggered you'd like Sweetness. I had recommended it as a fun, easy, summer read for our book club back in May ... I didn't do a very good selling job, obvs.