Wednesday, October 6, 2010

50 &51

Book number fifty on my list was Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear. This new (to me) mystery series about an enterprising personal investigator (sort of a Hercules Poirot type) sounded like it would be right up my alley. Even better was that the book was set in the midst of the flapper era and was about a girl from humble beginnings who rose above her station.

It was a good read, but I was disappointed with the overly dramatic language the author employed. I felt like I could hear the cinematic music all the way through the story...though maybe she did that on purpose?

Oh well, I still plan on reading more of Maisie's exploits.

Next up was worldwide bestseller The Shadow of the Wind by Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafón. All the praise on the inside jacket was spot on. If you enjoy Gothic stories or even the Three Muskateers, I think you'll love this.

No comments: