Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Winds of Change (28)

Quite by chance I seem to have been getting Martha Grimes' books in sequence. Which is odd because I just go on to the FVRL website and do a search for her name and then request whatever books come up.

I'm loving reading the books in sequence though because SO many story elements continue from one book to the next.

This was both my favorite and least favorite of her Richard Jury books.

On the one hand, I felt it was the one in which she was least British. I'm not sure if that's because I was so aware that she's an American (and so it was just me being silly and making her seem more American) or if she was being a bit careless with her references.

On the other hand, I was so excited to be following so closely on the heels of the Grave Maurice story line that I really enjoyed the continued character development of ALL her major characters and references back and forwards to stories I've already read.

The story itself was quite dark and for the first time I figured out the mystery (though I asked Andrew if he thought maybe that was because I've read so many of her books that I'm starting to think like her ha hah).

Anyhoo, I have one more of the Martha Grimes books borrowed, then I think I'll read something more weighty for a while. Save the mysteries for when I need light reading!!

No comments: