Friday, January 6, 2006

Recently Marco posted a list of the books he read in 2005. Love that idea, if only so I have a rough idea of how much I've read and the quality of it. However, I don't keep track of my books at all. On myspace.com you can post a "currently reading/listening" entry at the top of your blog. Cool feature. Except you can only add authors/artists in their database.

When David was born, I tried reading while I was feeding him. But I don't know, something about having a book balanced on his head and trying to stay focused while I tried to turn pages annoyed him enough that I gave that idea up pretty quick. When we finally got past the three hour feeding marathons (that continued with only short breaks in between...I REALLY hope NB is a faster eater!) I really didn't feel much like picking up books.

However, sometime this summer I tried to read Anna Karenina. Always felt like I ought to read some Tolstoy. I made it about 2/3 of the way through and decided I should just read the end.

On our trip to Ontario last June, I managed to read a Francine Rivers book and three Robert Ludlums.

When we went to Osoyoos I read a few Agatha Christies, a Ruth Rendell and one of those typical UK shopaholic books.

And of course on our big road trip I polished off a few more books. I think more Francine Rivers.

For Christmas, Andrew bought me Black by Ted Dekker. In the 10 days since then, I've read Red and White (also TD) stopping only to read a Robert Ludlum while I waited for my copy of White to arrive from Amazon. I'm currently working on Body Clutter by the Fly Lady and Captivating by John and Stasi Eldridge. I'm not very good with non-fiction. Don't know why...I can read books on Financial Planning with careless abandon...but anything else...ungh.

Anyway, all of this to say, I like to read. Would love to keep track for a year and see how many pages I can fit in in 365 days. Before Andrew and I even started dating, we had a conversation about reading Dostoevsky. Somehow it came up that I was a fast reader. Andrew was very condescending and commented that I couldn't possibly be as fast as him. That boy almost ruined his chances with me!! Obviously wasn't aware of how competitive I am, or how proud I am of that fact that I won the speed reading award every year at my highschool (Yes, I was also a member of the library club. What's your point?)

Wow, another rabbit trail. Back to the beginning of my last paragraph. My new year's resolution is to try to keep track of what I read this year, and to intersperse the fluffy reading with something I might actually learn from. Phew!

No comments: