Friday, August 29, 2008

36, 37, 38, 39

At this rate, I might beat the number of books I read last year. Although, I've decided to stop trying for meaty books. It's just too hard (trying?!) to read classics when you keep getting interrupted!

We were on holiday this past five days and I managed to read four books.

I absolutely adore James Rollins. Unfortunately everyone seems to have discovered him at the same time I did. Everytime I walk into a used bookstore and ask for his books I hear, "Oh we just sold several this morning. I'm not sure we have any..." He's brilliant. Really. This was his first book. So good I forced Andrew to begin it the moment I finished and he too had to devour it. Very Michael Crichton-ish and very, very good. Though I'm not sure I'd watch the movie. Too scary.


I had to read this one because it's the first in the series (of the last James book I read) and I think I read somewhere that this was her first novel. Which is very interesting considering up until now I'd only read Children of Men and her Adam Dalgliesh books. And he plays a huge role in these books (albeit only as being quoted by Cordelia as having taught her dead partner everything he knew about solving mysteries.) Still, very interesting to read a book in which he figures so largely and knowing (I think) that she had yet to write a book about him.

Also, this was better than the other Cordelia book. I think there's another C book. I'll have to dig it up somewhere...

THIS Dan Brown had no religious stuff going on. Though I suppose the thought of finding life on another planet might scare some Christians, but not me. Anyway I quite like his writing style too, but it's not as good as Rollins'.


I think I say this after every Martha Grimes book I read. My favorite. And I really am going to buy all her books and (one day) read them all in order.

*happy sigh* I still have four more new (used) books from Penticton's Book Store to go read.

No comments: