Friday, January 30, 2009

Ten and Eleven

Have you noticed a pattern to my frenzied reading yet? I could be plowing through these Miss Read books, but I'd feel guilty for reading so many so quickly. So that I don't feel quite so guilty, I'm trying to read one by her, then one by someone else. It still feels like cheating when I'm reading James Rollins...

This time around, the Miss Read book was Mrs. Pringle. This book was delightful. Have I mentioned yet that it's all set in the English countryside? My mum says nothing changed from the time these stories were set until she was a girl growing up in Eastbourne. So really, reading the Miss Read books is almost like reading about my mum's life. I love it!

Then I read Ice Hunt by James Rollins. This is like his crossover book. It still follows the basic formula I was complaining about in my previous posting, but he's starting to move towards the type of story he tells in his Sigma Force books. You know, I complain about how he follows a formula, but the stories are riveting. Action packed. CRAZY imaginative. And scary in a Michael Crichtonesque sort of way. This one didn't disappoint.

No comments: