Monday, May 3, 2010

22 & 23

Sophie Kinsella (of Shopaholic fame)'s latest book, Twenties Girl may just be my favorite by the author. My sister is a huge fan of Kinsella's books and pretty much gave me a running commentary as she read the book and then practically foisted it on me to read myself. Even with her rave reviews, Twenties Girl sat on my dryer for about two months while I gorged myself on mysteries, Rollins and book club reads. Finally last week I found myself with no library books in my book basket and nothing to read for book club (it's still on order at the library). So I picked up TG and started reading. Like I said, it's probably my favorite. A light, fluffy, but satisfying read.

Since I had so much success with Kinsella's book, I rooted through my sister's shelves and came home with Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger. I didn't enjoy this one as much. I liked the idea - the story is based around a girl who chucks in her boring job with a bank (they call it banking, but she manages portfolios as far as I can tell) to work for a PR/event planning company in Manhattan. There's a lot of heavy partying, credit card usage and shady business ethics and in the end she walks away from this job too. But it was a little too light and fluffy and a little too neat and tidy in the end.

2 comments:

Ben S. said...

why did i not know about this blog until now? it's interesting that you say Twenties Girl is your fav of Kinsella's books - i haven't read it because i thought i might be done with Kinsella...but now i'm intrigued. did you read her "Domestic Goddess"? because that is my fav.

ramblin'andie said...

I really thought I had read it, but I just read the synopsis, and I don't think I have! I'm glad you asked...I'm going to rush over to my sister's and borrow it right now!